Sunday, March 16, 2014

Why I Love Being a Piano Teacher


Why I Love Being a Piano Teacher

1. I love sharing my passion of music with others.
2. I love working one-on-one with people of all ages.
3. I love seeing people discover their hidden talent for music.
4. It’s just plain fun to teach piano.
5. Teaching motivates me to continue to hone my own piano playing skills.
6. I learn so much by teaching (teaching is the best teacher).
7. I can work from home (or I can choose to work in other people’s homes).
8. I can work as much or as little as I want.
9. I love seeing people gain a passion for music.
10. I love helping people learn to play the piano.
11. I love helping people understand the inner workings of music (the theory).
12. I love being my own boss.
13. I love choosing the hours I will work.
14. I love continuing to discover new music for piano.
15. I love playing duets with students.
16. I love hearing two of my students play a duet together.
17. I love hearing my students create amazing performances of the great music from the solo piano repertoire.
18. It’s great income, part or full-time.
19. I love watching the joy on my students’ faces when they learn a difficult piece.
20. I love seeing the progress of students as they become more and more proficient on the piano.
21. I love watching family members’ faces as my students perform in piano recitals.
22. I love watching my students overcome the fear of performing in public.
23. I love helping my students hone their skills on the piano.
24. I love hearing my students learn pieces that I have written specifically for them.
25. I love writing music specifically for my students.
26. I love exposing my students to different types of music.  For example, I had a teenage student who came to his first piano lessons and declared, “I only want to play morose music.” So we started with dark pieces in minor keys. But soon I began introducing pieces like the Funeral March by Chopin, which is very minor and morose in the beginning, but then moves to a gorgeous major section in the middle.  He was soon converted to playing beautiful music along with the more somber morose pieces.
27. I love playing pieces for my students that they have never heard and hearing them say, “I love that.  That’s so beautiful.”  Or, “That’s so awesome.”
28. I love inspiring my students to work hard to accomplish a difficult goal.
29. I love teaching people to read music.  It’s like learning a different language.  It’s like decoding a secret code. 
30. I love developing a one-on-one relationship with my students. 
31. I love being a positive influence for good on my students.
32. I love being creative.
33. I love teaching my students to be creative, to interpret each piece of music with their own personal touch.
34. I love being a positive influence in my community, helping the members of the community in a positive way.
35. I love the challenge of taking a student who doesn’t want to play the piano, and helping him or her discover the joy of making music at the piano.
36. I love working with families for many years as I teach several members of the same family.  I feel a great kinship with these “piano” families.  They become some of my closest friends.

37. I love hearing a student’s progress in learning a piece of music as the piece progresses from mostly unrecognizable to a beautiful rendition of the piece.
38. I love seeing my students grow in poise and self-confidence. 
39. I love seeing my students become involved in the music of the community as they begin playing the piano in church services, care centers, etc.
40. I love seeing my more advanced students begin to teach lessons themselves (although they often take students that I would have had as students). 
41. Music has such an influence on people, for good or bad. I love helping students become familiar with the beautiful music composed throughout the centuries. I believe learning these great masterpieces enhances and enlarges the soul of the student.
42. I love being a part of this beautiful, positively uplifting profession. 

I just love being a piano teacher!




No comments:

Post a Comment